September 21, 2010
Hello Arroyo Partners:
The Rio Grande has received quite a bit of rainfall over the
last two weeks. First, Hurricane Hermine barreled through and
now the watershed is receiving the tropical moisture from Hurricane
Karl that slammed into Mexico a few days ago. All of this
rain has resulted in flooding in low lying areas of the Rio Grande
Valley, again, and there is more rain in the forecast. I hope
everyone stays safe and dry.
I want to remind everyone that the ACWP will be holding all of their Work Group meetings in October.
- The O&E WG will be held on October 12, 2010 from 3-5 pm at the Agrilife Extension Center conference room. The extension center is located at 2401 E. Expressway 83 in Weslaco, TX.
- The Ag WG meeting will be held on October 21, 2010 from 9:30 am-12 pm at the Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show grounds in Mercedes in conjunction with the Texas Irrigation Expo.
- Please note that the date of the Habitat and Steering Committee meetings have been changed to October 29, 2010. This was done to not conflict with the Texas Irrigation Expo.
- The Arroyo Colorado Habitat Workgroup meeting will be held on October 29, 2010 from 2-4 pm at the Estero Llano Grande World Birding Center located at 3301 S. FM.
- The Arroyo Colorado Watershed Partnership will be hosting an Arroyo Colorado Steering Committee meeting on October 29, from 5-7 pm. Food and refreshments will be served from 4:30-5:00 pm. The meeting will be held at The Estero Llano Grande World Birding Center located at 3301 S. FM 1015.
If you have any topics or suggestions to include on the Agendas for the upcoming workgroup meetings please call or send me an e-mail.
Please mark your calendars for the upcoming events:
- The Texas Irrigation Expo will be held on October 21 & 22. The event is free to the general public and will be held at the Rio Grande Valley Livestock Show Grounds in Mercedes. They are providing free tables to non-profits and governmental agencies. If you have any questions, please contact Robyn Hadley at 512.477.5445 or go to www.texasirrigationexpo.org.
- The Texas Stream Team will be having a volunteer monitor training workshop on Saturday, October 16 from 8:30-4:30 pm at the Estero Llano Grande World Birding Center located at 3301 S. FM 1015 in Weslaco, TX. If you are interested, please contact me and reserve your slot as soon as possible. Slots are filling up as we speak. Reserve your spot today.
Despite all of the rain, Fall is one of my favorite times of the year. September kicks off with white wing season. I had some friends and relatives over at my house to open the season. There were lots a white wing flying and we managed to get 4-5 bag limits. Another reason that I enjoy the Fall so much is because the redfish in the bay start to "school up" and begin feeding voraciously in preparation for their migration out of the Lower Laguna Madre and in to the Gulf of Mexico. I was able to get in some time on the water between all of the storms. We tangled with some real monster "bull reds".
Jaime J Flores