April 3, 2012
Hello Arroyo Partners:
The Rio Grande Valley experienced some wild weather last week. Some thunderstorms blew in last Thursday and these thunderstorms resulted in flooding, a hail storm and spawned at least 3 tornadoes. The McAllen/Edinburg area experienced the most damage. An untold number of cars, homes, schools and businesses were flooded while receiving severe hail damage at the same time. It was Central Texas weather in deep South Texas.
I am very pleased to announce that the Texas Water Resources Institute was recently selected as the winner of the Texas Environmental Excellence Award in the civic/community category for its Arroyo Colorado Watershed Partnership. Presented annually by the governor of Texas and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the award spotlights the state’s highest achievement in environmental preservation and protection. I want to sincerely thank all of our stakeholders and partners that work day in and day out on implementing the AC Watershed Protection Plan and made this award possible. We could not do it without you.
I want to remind everyone that the ACWP will be holding several of their Work Group meetings in April.
The Arroyo Colorado Ag Issues Workgroup meeting will be held on April 19, 2012 from 9-11 am at the Harlingen Irrigation District Pump-house.
The Arroyo Colorado Habitat Workgroup meeting will be held on April 19, 2012 from 2-4 pm at the Estero Llano Grande World Birding Center located at 3301 S. FM 1015, Weslaco, TX.
The Arroyo Colorado Watershed Partnership will be hosting an Arroyo Colorado Steering Committee meeting on April 19, from 5-7 pm. Food and refreshments will be served from 4:30-5:00 pm. The meeting will be held at The Estero Llano Grande World Birding Center located at 3301 S. FM 1015, Weslaco, TX. We will be discussing the several important topics and need your input so please make it a point to attend.
If you have any topics or suggestions to include on the Agendas for the upcoming workgroup meetings please call or send me an e-mail.
The LRGV-TPDES Storm Water Task Force hosted their 14th Annual Stormwater Management Planning Conference on March 28-30, 2012 at South Padre Island. The conference was a great success and very well attended. I want to congratulate the Storm Water Task Force for hosting such an informative conference. I also want to thank the Storm Water Task Force for presenting the Arroyo Colorado Conservancy, the ACWP’s non-profit group, with a check for $3,000 becoming our first Platinum sponsor. Again, I would like to thank all of the Task Force cities and TAMUK for supporting the implementation of the ACWPP.
Please mark your calendars for the upcoming events:
- City of Edinburg will be hosting an Arbor Day/Earth Day Festival & Bike Challenge on Saturday, April 14, 2012. The Bike challenge is from 7:30 am -10:30 am, the trash bash is from 8 am -9 am, Earth Day Festival from 9 am -1 pm and a Memorial tree planting from 10:30 am -11 am. The festival will also be giving away 4 bikes and helmets, 2 – 6 month memberships to 600+ GymSpa, Passes to Cine Del Rey Comedy Club, Goga Exercise Studio passes, Free tree seedlings (limited quantities), Free mulch samples (limited quantities) and other freebies to be given out at the event. All the give-away items will be handed out as long as quantities last.
- The Valley Proud Environmental Council will be hosting the All Valley Trash Bash on Saturday, April 14, 2012. Check with your local city hall for the time and place to meet in your city.
- The Valley Proud Environmental Council will be hosting the Texas Country Clean Up staring on Saturday, April 14- April 21, 2012. Check with your local county officials for the time and place to meet in your county.
- April 18, 2012, 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. Public meeting of the Lower Rio Grande Citizens Forum sponsored by the U.S. Section of the International Boundary and Water Commission (USIBWC) at the USIBWC Office, 325 Golf Course Road, Mercedes, TX 78570. For more information.
- City of McAllen 2012 Vida Verde Earth Day Festival at Quinta Mazatlan World Birding Center on Saturday, April 21 from 9 am to 4 pm.
- The ACWP will be hosting a Texas Stream Team Volunteer Monitor Workshop on Saturday, May 12 from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm at the Estero Llano Grande World Birding Center located at 3301 S. FM 1015, Weslaco, TX. If you want to become a TX Stream Team Volunteer Monitor and conduct monthly water sampling on the Arroyo Colorado, this workshop is for you.
I have not been fishing in a couple of weeks but I am planning on fishing for some lunker bass this Saturday at a secret “honey hole” located in the heart of the watershed. Access to this spot is limited to a select few and I happened to get invited to conduct some fish tissue sampling. I will let you know how it goes. Keep those lines tight.